Organized in 1908, First Christian Church (FCC) in Mountain City, Tennessee is an “Independent” Christian Church grounded in the fundamentals of the Restoration Movement. Worship service attendance averages around 200 people divided among three services. Sunday night youth program attendance averages between 10-15 people and Wednesday night youth program attendance averages around 20-30 people. More information about the local community may be found at: http://johnsoncountytnchamber.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Associate Minister (AM) with an emphasis on Youth Ministry.
STATUS: Full Time, Salaried.
BENEFITS: 2 weeks paid vacation, retirement, contribution toward medical insurance.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work in concert with the Senior Minister (hereafter SM) and the Board in order to fulfill the church’s mission to follow the teachings of the New Testament in the tradition of the Restoration Movement (weekly communion; baptism by immersion; “No creed but Christ”; “Where the Scriptures speak, we speak; where the Scriptures are silent, we are silent”; “We are Christians only, but not the only Christians”; etc…)
SUPERVISION: AM Reports to the FCC Church Board. Operates with considerable independence within areas of responsibility described below, subject to church policy as determined by the FCC Church Board with authority over the ministry area involved.
Organizational Relationship and Ministry Supervision:
· The Associate Minister (hereafter AM) will spend at least 40 hours per week in service to FCC with the understanding that the ministerial work very often does not conform to a regular work week. Some of the AM’s time will be spend in preparation and visitation, which does not occur on-site, and some service is performed on the weekends.
Specific Expectations are as Follows:
· Plan weekly Sunday night and Wednesday night lessons for FCC Youth Groups (grades 7-12).
· Provide a written report each month at FCC Board meetings (detailing visits, future plans, youth attendance, activities, etc…)
· Hold parent meetings as needed and ensure regular and timely communication with you and parents via written and/or electronic media (Facebook, email, newsletter, etc…) in accordance with church policies.
· Plan and lead annual TCTC (Tennessee Christian Teen Conference) trip and fundraiser (usually a dessert auction).
· Plan and direct a Youth Sunday service annually or as directed.
· Additional duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
o Preach when SM is unavailable or as directed.
o Participate in home and hospital visitation as needed and/or directed.
o Grow in his role as a church leader and is encouraged to participate in continuing education.
o Manage the Christian Church Food Pantry ministry.
o Participate in community activities as an outreach—especially those involving church family.
o Provide weekly communion meditation.
o Help perform various administrative tasks such as developing programmatic budgets, organizing and managing volunteers, organizing and maintaining required documentation for external programs, and recruiting other participants.
o Network with community and local churches to develop partnerships and church sponsored missions.
o Establish a strategy to reach the youth of Johnson County.
o Any other duties assigned by the board.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
· Must be a baptized believer in Christ, possessing spiritual maturity.
· Must embrace Christian Church doctrine and theology compatible with the Restoration Movement.
· A bachelor’s degree in a ministry related field is preferred.
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and information technology skills (computer literacy, use of social media, etc…)
· Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with congregations, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
· Musical ability a plus and would result in additional compensation (negotiable).
· Must agree to submit to a background check.
$25,000 to $30,000 commensurate with degree and experience. Increases will be considered annually based on AM Evaluation and the financial condition of the church. Benefits listed above are in addition to the salary of $25,000 to $30,000.
First Christian Church