Children and Family Life Pastor
Children and Family Life Pastor Job Description
The primary responsibility for this position is to serve the Lord Jesus Christ as an associate pastor (shepherd-teacher) with the Oak Park Christian Church family.
The secondary responsibility for this position is to give leadership to growing and maturing a ministry to children and their parents.
- Children’s Ministry:
- Oversee ministry to children ages birth through sixth grade.
- Plan and grow a comprehensive and balanced program including:
- An inviting and effective ministry for children during both of our Sunday morning worship gatherings.
- Expanding our current Wednesday night program that currently includes childcare and a children’s choir that performs two musicals per year (prior to Resurrection Sunday and Christmas).
- Occasional and/or annual outreach events to attract new children and families.
- Develop a team of adult volunteer staff.
- Recruit the necessary number and quality of adult volunteers to serve the needs of the Children’s Ministry.
- Contribute to the discipleship of those adults for spiritual growth.
- Train the adult staff with specific skills for “leading by serving and serving by leading.”
- Empower and engage the adult staff in ministry.
- Establish and maintain regular communication with parents.
- Family Life Ministry:
- Create and oversee a comprehensive ministry for developing healthy, biblically-oriented marriage relationships at all stages.
- Create and oversee a comprehensive ministry for encouraging, equipping, resourcing, and networking parents of children up through sixth grade.
- General Pastoral Ministry:
- Serve as an integral part of pastoral and staff team.
- Regular preaching for Sunday morning worship gatherings (minimum of 4 times per year).
- Counseling and pastoral care as opportunities arise.
Grover Beach is a beach community on California’s Central Coast located approximately halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Grover Beach is part of the “5 Cities” area that also includes Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Arroyo Grande, and Oceano. The area has a unique and diverse population of about 50,000. In 2015, Barna Research identified our region as having the second highest percentage of those considered “never-churched” (Churchless Cities, May 1, 2015).
Oak Park Christian Church is a healthy, intergenerational, and multi-ethnic family of believers. On Sunday mornings, we are averaging just over 250 in our worship gatherings, which includes over 40 children ages birth through sixth grade.
Preferred Candidate Profile:
We are seeking an associate pastor who will have primary responsibility for leading and growing our ministry to children, as well as developing a comprehensive ministry for strengthening marriages and parenting skills. We are looking for the man of God who will be the best fit with our current pastoral staff and the culture of the community and the congregation.
Preferred candidates will have:
- A passionate and growing personal faith in Jesus.
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree. Preference will be given to those who graduated from a college or seminary affiliated with the Christian Churches/Churches of Christ.
- A deep love for the Word of God and a high commitment to communicate it passionately and compassionately.
- A deep love for the local church and commitment to “lead by serving and serve by leading.”
- At least three years’ experience leading children’s ministry in a similar sized congregation or larger.
- Experience in, or be acclimated to, ministry within the culture of the west coast.
- A commitment to team-based ministry.
- A Christ-centered marriage and home life.
Please send a resume with at least five references, a philosophy of ministry, a statement of core doctrinal convictions and values, examples of curriculum or training material you have written, and web or video links of preaching or teaching.
Oak Park Christian Church
386 N. Oak Park Blvd.
Grover Beach, CA. 93433