Children’s Director (Part-Time)
The Raytown Christian Church is seeking a part-time children’s director. The position is one-quarter time (10 hours a week, $10,000/year), though we expect the position to grow to full-time within two years. The attached position description provides an overview of the position responsibilities. Please note, we are looking for a strong, creative leader who can restructure the children’s ministry, recruit leaders (we have a pool of excellent volunteer leaders in place), and who will oversee the ministry rather than “do” the ministry. We’re looking for someone who has leadership skills or has the capacity to develop leadership skills.
The Raytown Christian Church has a history of equipping and empowering Christian leaders, helping them to reach their fullest potential both spiritually and vocationally. Each member of our staff is a growing leader who grows leaders and we’re looking for someone who has the potential to become not just a leader, but a great leader. We are committed to equipping, encouraging, and empowering our staff and our leaders to be creative, to be risk-takers for the sake of the gospel, and to invest in the next generation of leaders.
With that in mind, we ask that you post the attached job description and help us identify our next staff member.
Dr. Bill Tenny-Brittian, Senior Minister & JoAnn Hudson, Spiritual Growth Chairperson
Children’s Director Position Description
The mission of the Raytown Christian Church’s Children’s Ministry is to introduce children to the Christian faith and to help them become faithful disciples of Jesus Christ.
The mission of the RCC Children’s Director is to implement and extend the Children’s Ministry mission and vision beyond the walls of the church and into the community.
The vision for RCC’s Children’s Ministry is to provide leadership and creative direction to the existing (and expanding) children’s ministry team of volunteers to create a children’s program so attractive, exciting, meaningful, and fun that children will want their parents bring them every week. Indeed, the program will be so popular that children will invite all their friends to join them and their parents will encourage others to bring their children too.
Official Position Description
The RCC Children’s Director is responsible for ensuring the congregation’s mission and vision is fulfilled through personal spiritual modeling and by developing, coordinating, staffing, and overseeing the ministry’s programming that develops children (Pre-K to 5th Grade) into disciples of Jesus Christ.
The Children’s Director will report directly to the Discipleship Director.
• The Children’s Director must must be an active disciple of Jesus Christ who models the faith in his/her life.
• The Children’s Director must embrace, support, and model the Raytown Christian Church’s mission, vision, values, and core culture.
• The Children’s Director must bring integrity, faithfulness, and loyalty to the church, congregation, staff, and members of Raytown Christian Church.
• The Children’s Director must be an energetic visionary who is creative in leading children to Jesus Christ through programming that is age appropriate, culturally sensitive, and technologically relevant to both the community’s church and unchurched children.
• The Children’s Director must work within the scope of the children’s ministry budget.
1. Maintain an authentic and growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual disciplines of Bible reading, prayer, personal worship, group study, encouragement, service, faith-sharing, and fellowship.
2. Spend time developing relationships with lost people so as to be personally effective in pursuing the Great Commission and helping the church do the same.
3. Recruit, equip, empower, mentor, and coach those who lead the children’s ministries.
4. Attend staff meetings and one-on-one coaching meetings as scheduled.
5. Direct all weekly children’s activities necessary to develop faithful disciples.
6. Provide pastoral care for the children’s ministry team.
7. Introduce the children’s ministry team to effective children’s discipleship training provided by other ministries, books, and conferences.
8. Plan major seasonal and/or outreach events two to four times per year.
9. Oversee the children’s ministry budget, organization, and volunteers.
10. In coordination with the Discipleship Director, set annual goals for the children’s ministry that are in keeping with our vision and then evaluate how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
• To be the pastor of those serving on the children’s ministry team and provide spiritual oversight for them.
• To be the “head coach” and encourager of those who serve on the children’s ministry team.
• To work closely with the Discipleship Director to ensure the children’s ministry supports the overall mission of the church.
• To be in love with the mission of the church: “To help people say Yes! to Jesus.”
• To develop the core teams necessary for effective children’s ministry.
About Raytown Christian Church
The Raytown Christian Church is located just east of Kansas City, north of I-70. The church is well known in the community for its outreach ministries and its commitment to working with the city to bring about permanent and lasting change. Our mission is to help people say “Yes!” to Jesus and we are committed to welcoming everyone, no exceptions; bringing a relevant faith to people’s lives; to deep discipleship development; and that every Christian is ordained into ministry by virtue of their baptism. To that end, our vision is to invest in deep spiritual development that results in full and abundant living that impacts people’s personal lives, their vocational lives, and their family lives.
As a team, the Raytown Christian Church has a history of equipping and empowering Christian leaders, helping them to reach their fullest potential both spiritually and vocationally. Each member of our staff is a growing leader who grows leaders and we’re looking for someone who has the potential to become not just a leader, but a great leader. We are committed to equipping, encouraging, and empowering our staff and our leaders to be creative, to be risk- takers for the sake of the gospel, and to invest in the next generation of leaders.
We are looking for our next team member who will help us impact the community through a vibrant, life-changing children’s ministry.
How to Apply
If you have the creativity, the energy, and the passion for leading a life-impacting children’s ministry, then please send your vita or resumé electronically or by mail to:
Raytown Christian Church
6108 Blue Ridge Blvd
Raytown, MO 64133