First Church of Christ
Bluffton, Indiana 46714
Position Title: Senior Pastor
Denomination: Non-Denominational/ Independent
Church Size: 250
The Senior Pastor will lead the congregation by teaching and preaching the Scriptures as the Word of God and its application to life in our context. He will engage church members and utilize resources in pursuit of an agreed, God-directed vision and will giving administrative oversight to paid staff and ministry teams.
The Senior Pastor is accountable to the Elder Board, who in turn are guardians of faith, mission, values, and vision. The Senior Pastor will oversee strategic planning, staff, departments, ministry team and resources. Oversight includes support, encouragement, direction, mentoring, accountability and defense.
The Senior Pastor will recognize the high visibility of his life and live as an example to believers in spiritual devotion, moral and ethical behavior.
The role is more fully described in the church policies for the Senior Pastor and the Elder Board.
1. Experience in supervising paid staff and volunteers
2. Effective communication skills, including preaching, teaching and written
3. Experience with leadership development and strategic planning
4. Preparation and management of ministry plans and budgets
5. Bachelor’s degree in ministry or related field
1. Previous experience as a Senior Pastor
2. Degree or training beyond Bachelor’s degree
1. Provide biblically-based preaching and teaching that is engaging, persuasive, and applicable
2. Ensure that teaching in Sunday school, youth groups, small groups, etc. aligns with sound doctrine and our statement of faith
The Senior Pastor is expected to be personally involved in providing Pastoral care to the congregation, but is not expected to be the sole provider.
1. Engage the congregation through personal contact beyond Sunday morning
2. Attend and support church functions
3. Provide a sense of stability in leadership
4. Be available with an empathetic response to crisis or counseling situations that arise
1. Hold the staff accountable to standards of excellence in ministry practice
2. Supervise and work with church staff and ministry teams
3. Evaluate paid staff annually including a review of compensation. Present budgets to the Elder Board as part of the annual budget request process
4. Inform the Elder Board of any relevant trends, church issues, needs, external or internal changes or problems that could affect the ministry positively or negatively
5. Lead searches for the hiring of paid staff. Recommend hirings and dismissals of staff when needed with approval of the Elder Board
How to Apply
Contact: Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications received prior to July 31, 2018 will be given priority.
First Church of Christ is a multi-generational, New Testament congregation located in Bluffton, Indiana. The mission of First Church of Christ is to lead generations into a life-changing, ever-growing relationship with Jesus Christ. We believe in preaching and following God’s Word as it is written without adding man-made traditions or rules.
In October 2017, we hired Interim Pastor Ministries who provided us with an interim Senior Pastor that led us through a transition process. The process included looking back, looking around and looking forward as well as updating our church mission statement, core values, and policies.
First Church of Christ is a family-oriented church with ministries for children, youth, and adults. We encourage participation in small groups that meet during the week to reinforce Sunday teachings as well as grow deeper Christ-centered relationships. Worship Ministry is present to lead the body of Christ in expressions of their adoration to God through singing, instruments, drama and other arts. Lastly, Missions Ministry is dedicated to loving people through allocating a portion of our offerings as well as our congregation’s time and efforts to mission work outside of the church.
First Church of Christ
909 W Spring Street
Bluffton, IN 46714