First Lutheran Church seeks an enthusiastic individual to lead a dynamic and comprehensive, Christ-centered program for children (Birth to 5th Grade), youth (6th-12th grade) and their families. The CEL will serve under the supervision of the Senior Pastor and the congregation council
• Satisfy mandatory background checks; maintain confidentiality
• Work schedule includes Sundays, and some weekends and evenings
This is an unrostered position suited for an individual with a strong Christian background (preferably Lutheran) with the skills and capabilities to lead and develop youth in their faith
• BA/BS in Youth and Family Ministry (preferred), or strong work experience in youth and family programs
• Familiar with Lutheran theology and the small catechism
• Experience working as a servant-leader in Youth and/or Family ministry
• Self starter with high degree of initiative and ability to plan, organize, and lead programs
• Possess oral, written, listening and electronic communication skills through multiple types of media
• Ability to positively interact with people at all age and faith development levels
• Good interpersonal skills with ability to motivate, work collaboratively and adept at handling conflict
Breakdown of Job Responsibilities
Children and Youth Programs (50%)
• Responsible for the coordination of a comprehensive youth and children’s ministries educational program
• Develop, maintain and provide a youth program to actively engage our youth in congregational life
• Nurture the youth group by organizing many events including, but not limited to meetings, Bible studies, summer trips, camps, retreats, lock-ins, community service activities, and fundraisers
• Regularly participate in weekly worship and fellowship at First Lutheran Church
• Recruit, train, and support congregation members in their involvement with children and youth ministries
Christian Education For Children and Youth (40%)
• Recruit and equip leaders: Sunday school teachers, Chaperones, Vacation Bible School directors, etc.
• Schedule Faith Steppingstones sessions and track student progress until graduation
• Generate and oversee the Sunday School Scope and Sequence
• Assist in Confirmation activities, including teaching Confirmation lessons
• Assist in the selection and implementation, and conducting of Vacation Bible School
• Maintain all education curriculum materials
Collaboration and Administration (5%)
• Develop a youth ministry schedule; participate in staff meetings; provide reports
Other Duties as Assigned (<5%)
• 25-30 hours/week
• One year term position
This is an abbreviated job description and is not all inclusive. A detailed job description is available by e-mailing the two individuals listed in the application process.
Interested candidates should send the following (as a single attached document, PDF preferred) via email to both Lana Oleen – firstname.lastname@example.org and Stan Tilley – email@example.com with “Application” in the Subject line.
1. A cover letter of application (2 pages or less), stating particular interests, gifts and qualifications for this position. In addition, the cover letter should address the following question: If you could build youth and family ministry from the ground up, what things would be important to you?
2. A resume with at least three references.
930 Poyntz Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66502