The Youth Minister will minister to the needs of the youth, leading them to spiritual commitments and disciplines that will result in spiritual maturity; partner with parents and guardians to introduce their young people to Christ; to disciple them in spiritual growth; to train them in serving Christ with their life. The Youth Minister must support the Vision, Mission, and Core Values and agree with the Statement of Faith of Central Park Christian Church.
Partnering together for freedom in the heart of the city
Mobilizing disciples to fulfill God’s passion to save and transform lives
Because the Bible is our final authority:
1. We are dedicated to prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit
2. We pursue unity with integrity
3. We seek the lost with love and respect
4. We invest relationally in individuals, families, and the next generation
5. We teach and equip disciples for service
6. We intentionally pursue inter-generational community
7. We are faithful stewards of God’s resources
Statement of faith
1. We believe the original writings of the Old and New Testament Scriptures to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, true God and true man.
4. We believe in Jesus’ sinless life, His miracles, that He died for our sins according to the Scriptures, in His bodily resurrection, in his ascension to the right hand of the Father to be our mediator and in his personal return, bodily and visibly, to establish his kingdom.
5. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the saved and the everlasting separation from God of the unsaved.
6. We believe that salvation is indeed a gift from God. We are saved through our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ – it is not through any human efforts but by God’s grace.
7. We believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling and regenerating power the believer is enabled to live a Godly life.
8. We believe that each believer, all who are saved, should demonstrate their faith in Jesus Christ by obediently following Him in the act of baptism, thereby signifying Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.
9. We believe that the Christian is not to be conformed to this present world but is transformed in such a way that Christ lives through the believer and that life will be pre-eminently characterized by a life of faith, truth, purity and love.
10. We believe the Church, ordained by God, is commissioned by Him to evangelize the world by every believer being a witness to the unsaved, proclaiming Jesus Christ as Lord and by living as His servants among all men.
1. A heart for youth and their spiritual lives
2. Ability and willingness to work with youth from both urban and rural backgrounds
3. Have a commitment to the whole family; develops a relationship with parents and/or guardians to provide guidance, resources, and encouragement
4. Ability to communicate well with students and able to teach in a manner that the youth to which the youth can relate
5. Ability to communicate well with all members of the church
6. A commitment to teamwork with the pastoral staff
7. Must be a self-starter, exercising initiative and judgment
8. Must be able to work independently, and with direct supervision.
9. Must have a degree of organizational and administrative abilities
10. A good sense of humor is helpful, and desirable.
11. Must be able to pass a background check
12. Training or practical experience in youth ministry and a desire for continued training and growth
13. Bachelors degree from a four-year Bible college is desired; or two years or more experience and/or training
14. Experience as a youth pastor is preferred, but not required.
1. The incumbent will report to the Senior Pastor and ultimately accountable to the elders
2. This position will work with the other pastors, staff, elders, church leaders, parents and youth
3. Work with and be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries, youth workers from other church, para-church organizations, and secular youth organizations
1. A vital relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ
2. Agree with the statement of faith
3. Must be full of the spirit and wisdom (Acts 6:3)
4. Should have a measure of all of the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23)
5. Should possess the characteristics of an overseer (I Tim 3: 2-7)
6. A call to pastoral ministry from God
7. Spiritual gifts relevant to the position:
Requirements and Responsibilities of the Position
8. Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community
9. Ensure that the youth ministry is functioning in an effective, focused manner.
10. Give direction to and oversee the entire youth ministry including, middle school, high school and college age students
11. Organize and lead weekly Sunday Christian Education classes with the assistance of a team of teachers
12. Organize and lead weekly Middle/High School youth group meetings with the assistance of a team of sponsors
13. Organize discipleship groups for Middle/High School youth utilizing sponsors
14. Organize and implement special activities, such as retreats, mission trips, camps, etc, for appropriate age groups
15. Develop a long-range plan for student ministries in cooperation with the Senior Pastor
16. Organize and administer a program of active outreach to the youth of the neighborhood near CPCC
17. Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills
18. Meet bi-monthly with Middle/High School/College Age ministry sponsors and children’s workers to pray and to discuss upcoming events, challenges, solutions, and praises
19. Recruit Middle/High School/College sponsors as needed Provide training as needed Plan one major training/teambuilding workshop a year
20. Provide counseling and spiritual direction to youth on an individual basis while at the same time guarding against charges of impropriety
21. Develop and participate in contacting/follow up ministry to youth who have visited the church
22. Foster good communication regarding the youth ministry within the congregation and parents through newsletter articles, letters, texts, etc
23. Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings
Duties of the position
1. A 50 hour work week is expected, many of these hours are other than “normal” office hours
2. Hours are turned in biweekly to the Senior Pastor
3. Adhere to the policies of CPCC and the direction of the Elders and Senior Pastor
4. As requested, report to the Elders the status and plans for the youth ministry
5. Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
6. Guide and direct the work of summer interns, when applicable
7. Develop and oversee budget and expenditures for the student ministries department
8. Make hospital calls as needed, especially if youth are hospitalized
9. Attend weekly staff meetings for prayer, planning, and sharpening leadership skills; work together with the elders/staff to develop ministries based on worship, discipleship, fellowship, ministry/serving, and outreach/evangelism
10. Preach, teach, and perform weddings and funerals as needed
11. Other duties as assigned by the Senior Minister or the Personnel Committee