What do you need to take courses in MCC Online?
The Minimum Computer System Requirements are meant to serve as a guideline for what is acceptable to access most courses using MCC Online. Be aware that some courses may utilize more advanced technologies or software, and the Minimum System Requirements may be limiting.
MCC also recommends Microsoft Office 2010 (2011 for Macintosh users) for students. The Office University (academic) edition is available from Microsoft for under $100.
- Audio: sound card and speakers or headphones for listening
- Internet connection: 56 Kbps (caution: if video is present, it may be poor at this speed)
- Screen resolution: at least 800 x 600
- Latest Internet browser: Firefox 2 or greater (preferred), IE 7 or greater, browser set to accept cookies and to show the newest version of a page, and Java scripting enabled.
- Pop-up blocker: must be disabled (for help see: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari)
- All of those items recommended in minimum specifications, PLUS the following:
- Internet connection: Cable modem, DSL or better (required for high-quality video)
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768
- A media players is required in order to view videos included in some courses. Windows Media Player or Camtasia Player are examples of free players.
A note about file viewers and plug-ins
Occasionally you may encounter course content in the form of specific file types that require specific applications in order to open and/or view. If you do not have the corresponding applications on your computer and/or if your browser lacks the capability to properly display these files, you should be able to view the files by downloading free viewers or plug-ins for specific file types. These links are provided here for your convenience. Please refer back to this page when/if necessary while taking any of our online courses.
For Microsoft Office files (such as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel), visit the Microsoft Office Online File Convertors and Viewers page at:
For Adobe PDF files, download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader at:
Unless otherwise indicated, most course videos will be viewable via Windows Media Player, which can be downloaded for both Macs and PCs at:
For help with other file types, please contact your course instructor.