Journey Next Gen Director
Purpose: The Journey Next Gen Director will oversee Middle School (7th-8th grades), High School (9th-12th grades), college students, and young adults here at The Journey Church. They will work within The Journey’s coaching model to develop adult and student leaders with oversight of volunteers to help students take their next steps towards Jesus. This role includes weekly gatherings, small groups, trips, community service, and other activities and events.
Church Background: The Journey Church is located in Northern Virginia (NOVA), about 12 miles from Washington, DC. The Journey has been a growing and healthy church for almost 50 years. The people who attend The Journey are young and diverse with a large military and government contingency. Like the area, the church is transient in nature with about 20% of those attending moving each year. Even with so many people moving away, the church still sees yearly growth. Every weekend, we offer two worship services with an average weekly attendance of over 400 people.
Chad Simpkins has been the Lead Pastor for five years and on staff for six years. He emphasizes leadership development through coaching leaders and ensuring that the staff models health for our church. The staff of 11 is a mixture of full and part time positions, making for a fun, team-oriented culture.
Our current Teen Director has worked a full-time consulting job, been attending seminary, and running our Teen ministry on a very part-time basis. He will be stepping out of his current role with The Journey this summer for other plans. We are ready to devote more resources to our
students from middle school to college and also our young adult set. Locally, we have high school students focused in four high schools and four middle schools within 5 miles of our building, plus a couple of local colleges.
This role is a full time job, but we would also like to know in what other areas of the church a candidate could contribute. We are interested in breaking down weekly hours into 30 hours working on students and young adults and then 10 hours a week in an area the candidate has skills or a passion for, such as media, graphics, social media, discipleship, outreach, etc. The ideal candidate will be a coachable leader who can grow this ministry by building a team of leaders to care for others.
- Lead middle school and high school weekly gatherings.
- Lead and support college aged students and young adults.
- Recruit and develop adult and student volunteers to lead ministry and disciple students. 4. Coordinate retreats, trips, groups, and special events for students and young adults.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Mature, growing, follower of Jesus who understands and lives out the Gospel. 2. Committed to spiritual integrity and authentic relationships.
- Effective communication skills (oral and written).
- In agreement with our doctrine, mission, and values of The Journey.
- Teachable, responsive, respectful, and can adapt with a fast-paced organization. 6. Passionate about working with teens. Able to connect with middle school and high school students, college aged students, and young adults while knowledgable in ministry best practices.
- Ability to develop systems to efficiently advance ministry and communication. 8. Strong leadership skills.
- Social media skills that connects with students.
10.Ability to create a compelling culture and environment that students are excited about and into which they are excited to invite their friends.
Requirements and Compensation
- Four year degree required with three years experience in teen ministry. Prefer a bible college or seminary degree, but not a deal breaker.
- This is a full-time position with competitive pay for Northern Virginia. Salary dependent on education, experience, and pastoral status.
- Family health insurance is offered as part of the package for this position. 4. Additional benefits include four weeks of vacation, four Sundays off per year, and counseling paid for by the church.
1,512 total views, 6 views today