The Focus of the Pastor:
To serve as pastor, resource person, and equipper in the ministry of the Scottdale Church of Christ.
Preaching and Teaching
➢ To study, prepare and deliver sermons, Bible studies and Bible school lessons
➢ To help the church family mature in Christ
➢ To encourage others to discover their gifts/abilities
➢ To help in the development of these gifts
➢ To direct and encourage people into new areas of ministry
➢ To be available to all ministry teams for consultation, resource, and support
➢ To call on visitors to the church and their families
➢ To call on those in the hospital and shut-ins
➢ To assist the church leaders in calling on members
➢ To be available for questions and counsel on Biblical questions
➢ To maintain an awareness among leadership of conditions and issues within the church
➢ To provide guidance for individuals’ needs (premarital, marital, bereaved, etc.) on a short-term basis.
➢ To balance evangelistic outreach with nurture of discipleship in Scottdale’s programming, ensuring the discipleship pathway is moving non-believers and believers to deep places of faith and service.
➢ To promote a multi-generational program for children, youth, and adults to be actively involved.
➢ To establish and maintain regular office hours
➢ To regularly meet with the leaders to report and discuss plans for the work of the church
➢ To oversee the work of the church office and volunteers
Authority of the Pastor:
- To plan and execute a weekly schedule relative to the stated responsibilities as defined by the Church leaders
Accountability for the Pastor:
- Responsible to the leaders.
- An annual appraisal and evaluation of performance will be conducted by the elders/Church leaders
- To act as a liaison between church leadership and other sister congregations and community functions.
- To actively support and participate in state and national ministries, (e.g., church camp, Bible college, ICOM, etc.)
- Develop a growing relationship with God through daily prayer and Bible reading
- Maintain a healthy marriage and family life
- Regularly pray for the church members and leaders
- Explore personal and professional growth and development through continuing education, conventions and seminars
The Role: The Pastor for Scottdale Church of Christ provides spiritual and pastoral leadership to the members and serves as the spiritual leader of the church to fulfill its mission and purpose as taught in the Bible.
Meet Scottdale Church:
Southwestern Pennsylvania has deep roots in the Restoration Movement. Alexander Campbell preached in the helping to start Pennsville church and Bethel church. Each of these churches had a role in planting Scottdale.
In 1896, a group of “Christians only” met in the band room at 17 North Grant Street, Scottdale, for the purpose of organizing a Bible School. Several of these people had become Christians at the Bethel church, and a few had their roots in the Pennsville church. There were 11 people present and the offering was 65 cents. From this humble beginning has risen a congregation that now has a rich history of presenting the plain gospel in Scottdale.
After a devastating fire took the original building in 1930, the church purchased property at the corner of North Chestnut St. and Loucks Avenue (where the church buildings stand today). The house was used for worship beginning in 1935 and a new meeting house was dedicated in 1941.
The church has developed a reputation in the community of caring and concern for neighbors and friends. Participating in community activities has allowed the church to be a trusted partner in many places. Recent challenges have resulted in the church attendance falling from previous highs.
Through the years, Scottdale Church of Christ has continued to be a beacon of hope in the city of Scottdale, PA, and looks forward to reaching future generations by continuing to reach their community with the good news of Jesus Christ.
We offer a reasonable salary and work schedule. We have a parsonage available. We have an office set up in the church building. We are anticipating building a relationship with the right person.
About the Pastor:
The Pastor for Scottdale Church of Christ provides spiritual and pastoral leadership to the members. The Pastor is a teacher, a preacher of God’s word, and is theologically sound, delivering messages that are relatable to a multigenerational congregation. He provides a vision for the spiritual and numerical growth of the church. The Pastor advises church leadership in the areas of worship, administration, stewardship, and evangelism. He has a genuine love and concern for the members and enjoys providing pastoral care by visitations, counseling, and prayer; equipping others to participate. He has a good work ethic and quickly responds to crises that arise in the congregation. Not only is he a teacher of Scripture, but he also spends time mentoring individuals in the transformative Christian education.
The Pastor Will:
- Regularly preach and teach the Word of God.
- Plan and lead worship in conjunction with worship leaders/volunteers.
- Officiate weddings, funeral, nursing home/hospital visits.
- Work with volunteers to develop and maintain a multigenerational worship experience.
- Oversee the administration and management of all areas of the congregation’s ministry in collaboration with the church leaders and committees.
- Mentor and assist other church leaders responsible for ministries such as children, youth, education, pastoral care, fellowship, and elderly care.
- Supervise and manage the church budget and staff.
- Collaborate with the church leaders to ensure the facilities are functional and in good working order.
Stewardship and Outreach
- Provide educational opportunities that promote biblical stewardship.
- Advise church leadership on financial matters of the church.
- Promote congregational benevolence and mission work for local and adjacent communities.
- Collaborate with the Church leaders and members to promote the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the unchurched, the inactive, and the new residents in the Scottdale community.
- Manage the assimilation of new members into the life of the congregation.
- Encourage all organizations and ministries of the church to carry out the mission work of Christ as supported by the church.
Goals and Expectations
- Stabilize and increase attendance and participation
- Establish and develop future staff and leaders
- Build relational equity in the community
- Advance the Church in Areas of Technology, Systems, and Processes
What you bring:
Education & Experience
We prefer the ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in a key pastoral role position. He has been a vision caster that promoted growth and sustainability. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
The candidate may be a new graduate of a Bible College or University. Experience as an intern or part-time minister is a plus!
- He will be personable and approachable.
- Understands Multi-generational leadership and relates well to all age groups.
- Possesses a good sense of humor and doesn’t take himself too seriously.
- Displays a compassionate and servant-hearted attitude.
- Understands team building and can mentor and equip others.
- Has a good work ethic and is passionate about serving God and serving others.
What it’s like to live in Scottdale, Pennsylvania:
Scottdale is a welcoming community of exceptional shops, beautiful tree-lined streets, and historic architecture that attracts many visitors each year to experience our small-town charm.
Scottdale has a rural community feel with a population of around 4,100. It’s located off US Route 119 on State Route 819 in Southwest Pennsylvania, approximately 35 miles south of Pittsburgh, 44 miles east of Washington, PA, and 9 miles South of New Stanton (I-70). It’s just a short drive to the mountains or whitewater for rafting. Maryland and West Virginia are a quick trip. Scottdale is a community where people are friendly and welcoming.
The cost of living is very affordable compared to many areas around the country and the local public schools are good. Scottdale is located in the Southmoreland School District (www.southmoreland.net). Other schools offering education in the local area are St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic School (www.stjohnbaptistschool.org), Mount Carmel Christian School (www.MyMCCS.org) and Verna Montessori School (www.vernamontessorischool.org).
Higher education within driving distance includes Westmoreland County Community College, Youngwood, PA – www.westmoreland.edu, Penn State Fayette, located between Connellsville and Uniontown, PA www.fayette.psu.edu, Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA – www.setonhill.edu, and Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, PA – www.stvincent.edu, and University of Pittsburgh, Greensburg, PA – www.greensburg.pitt.edu.
There’s so much to do at the various local and State parks like camping, hunting, golfing, hiking, and fishing. Scottdale has several community parks and sports fields, along with a regional YMCA, an award-recognized Public Library, and The Geyer Performing Arts Center.
Scottdale is a good place to live, raise a family, and truly experience all four seasons of the year.
Think you would be a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.
Email Rick.Shonkwiler@myccl.org with resume. Use “Scottdale” in the subject line.
Text 859.653.0692 for job description and more information. Leave your name and email.
Scottdale Church of Christ
215 North Chestnut Street
1,107 total views, 3 views today