Youth Ministry Leader/Director
The First Christian Church (FCC) of Beatrice, Nebraska is seeking a youth minister/director to lead the youth of our congregation into the future and the opportunities that will undoubtedly unfold as our youth live out our mission statement of “Following Christ by serving others.” The youth/children’s ministry position is now vacant due to the retirement of FCC’s previous Director of Children’s Ministry, who served the children of our congregation for the past 32 years.
We are a Disciples of Christ ministry established in 1872 and originally located on the upper floor of a downtown Beatrice business. In 1874, a church building was constructed in the same block where our present building, which was dedicated in 1932, now stands. The Church’s physical address is 205 N. 7th Street.
The Senior Pastor and Youth Ministry Leader, together with a group of eight elected Elders and several other congregation-led committees/groups, are responsible for the oversight/carrying out of the mission and ministries of our congregation. The pastoral staff and these congregational groups are assisted in these tasks and responsibilities by a combination of paid and volunteer staff. In addition to our professional ministry staff (Senior Pastor & Youth Ministry Leader), our FCC staff includes two part-time positions to lead our worship music and our vocal & handbell choirs, and three part-time positions responsible for performing all office/administrative, accounting, and custodial duties.
Beatrice is a town of approximately 12,500 people located in southeast Nebraska. It is the county seat of Gage County and approximately a 45-minute drive from Lincoln, the state capital of Nebraska, with a population of approximately 290,000 people.
Applicant Qualifications and Position Responsibilities:
Bachelors degree and two years youth ministry experience preferred, but applicants with commensurate levels of youth ministry training and experience will also be considered. Successful candidates must have excellent organizational and administrative skills and be effective and efficient communicators and also excel in the areas of youth pastoral care and leader development of both parents and youth. Other important qualities would be someone who can strongly and effectively proclaim the Word of God and the teachings of Jesus in a youth setting, and someone who can, by the example of their own spiritual development, provide a strong foundation for FCC youth to each begin their personal spiritual journey.
Please refer to the accompanying job description for detailed information regarding education and experience requirements, position responsibilities, and salary and benefits information.
For further information or to apply for the position, please contact FCC Senior Pastor, Mike Hanneman. Cover letter and resume may either be mailed or emailed to Pastor Mike at the applicable addresses listed below.
Pastor Mike Hanneman, MMIN
First Christian Church
PO Box 924
Beatrice, NE 68310
Church Office Ph: (402)223-3842
Pastor Mike’s direct contact info:
Mobile Ph: (816)668-1437
The overall goal of the Youth Ministry Program (Pre-K/Elementary through High School) is to build disciples for Christ. The Youth Ministry Leader will help First Christian Church (FCC Beatrice) reach, love, and make disciples of our youth, equipping them to share their faith with others while building up a growing and healthy next generation of leaders and disciples for Jesus Christ at First Christian Church. This position will report directly to the Senior Pastor.
- Plan and execute youth programs that include:
- Sunday or Wednesday evening Youth Fellowship program/bible study.
- Teaching a weekday program for grades K-5 and pre-school children with students, grouped by age, meeting one day per week after school. Current after-school program is called LABS (Learning About the Bible), but Senior Pastor and church leadership are open to restructuring and/or re-naming the program per input/recommendations from the Youth Ministry Leader.
- Assist in recruiting, training, scheduling, leading and encouraging teams of volunteers.
- Collaborate with the Senior Pastor, parents, staff, volunteers, Elders, and the FCC Board of Directors for effective youth ministry planning.
- Help plan and oversee special events such as Vacation Bible School (VBS), Child Dedications, summer camp trips, mission trips, youth fundraising events, special Christmas & Easter youth activities, and other special programs or events which may be developed.
- Ensure timely, thorough, and efficient communication with the Senior Pastor, Church leadership, parents, and volunteers regarding curriculum details and program or activity updates via emails, voicemail, newsletters, flyers, and social media.
- Attending youth extra-curricular school events when possible.
- In the administration and execution of all duties, ensure the highest level of safety and security for every child.
- Attend Christian Education Department and First Christian Church board meetings to provide updates.
- Serve primarily in the areas of youth ministry as identified above, but also support the overall ministries of First Christian Church. Attendance expected at various church-wide activities in addition to Sunday services.
- Additional responsibilities may include Sunday morning youth worship service, Evangelistic efforts, and hospital calls & visits.
- Regular meetings, communication, prayer, and encouragement will be expected in an effort to build relationships with parents, staff, volunteers, and FCC leadership in a teamwork environment.
- Dedicated prayer for children, parents, the community as a whole, and those with urgent needs.
- Clear, observable commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Adhere to Disciples of Christ theology and values in harmony with First Christian Church mission and values as well as statement of belief.
- A personal, active, and growing personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Spend time in prayer to be in tune with God’s plan for your ministry.
- Display mature spiritual leadership with a servant’s heart.
- Have an “extra mile” mentality.
- Able to identify and empathize with the personal and individual needs of a child.
- Personable, humble and caring, friendly, warm, and approachable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree in the field of Education, early childhood development, Christian education, or children’s ministry. (A combination of education/training and equivalent work experience may be considered.)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in youth ministry.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salaried position
- Weekly time commitment: Preferably full-time (35 – 40 hrs weekly), but both full-time and part-time candidates will be considered.
- Annual salary: Negotiable based on youth ministry experience, education, and whether full or part-time.
- 10 days paid vacation per year
- 5 days paid sick leave per year
- 7 paid holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving & following Friday, and Christmas Day)
- No health, dental, or retirement benefits at this time
First Christian Church
PO Box 924
Beatrice, NE 68310
2,826 total views, 6 views today