Associate Pastor for Youth and Kids
The Christian Church of Burlington, KS is hiring a full time Children’s and Youth Pastor, to continue our 163 year mission. The person we’re looking for will connect with and guide children and youth towards becoming followers of Jesus Christ and continue their training and growth in Christ. This person will also lead the volunteer teams for the different age groups and will be encouraged to continually reimagine them. There will also be times this person will fill in to deliver Sunday messages to the adults. We are a conservative, elder run, independent Christian Church, with our roots in the restoration movement. We average 135 people at Sunday Services, spanning 4 generations.
What can you expect from our church and community? Burlington, KS offers great schools and community amenities. Our main facility is 11 years old with a sanctuary capable of seating 300+ people. We recently added an 8,000 square foot kids and student wing. The kids and student wing is a flexible space, with room to grow, stocked with fun things providing a great environment to attract young people to come and experience Jesus. In addition to competitive pay, we also offer a parsonage and expense account for the person filling this position. All current church owned facilities are debt free.
- The Pastor should be able to live out the qualifications for elders spelled out in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
- The Pastor should communicate to the elders, staff and congregation about the concerns and needs of the youth/kids in the church and community.
- The Pastor should work with the staff, volunteers and elders in planning, developing and implementing programming of youth/kids ministry.
- The Pastor should find all resources for youth/kids ministry programming.
The Pastor should find and plan beyond normal spiritual, numerical and relational building activities (camps, conferences, etc.).
- The Pastor should recruit and prepare volunteers to work in all aspects of youth/kids ministry.
- The Pastor should ensure adequate volunteer to youth/kids ratio.
- The Pastor should complete background checks on all youth/kids volunteers.
The Pastor should prepare the youth/kids ministry budget and monitor spending levels within those ministries.
- The Pastor should communicate with staff, leadership, parents, students, and congregation in a timely manner through various resources (email, social media website, bulletin, bulletin board, etc.).
- The Pastor should attend extracurricular activities when possible and be available during times of personal/family crisis, etc. for youth/kids and their families.
- The Pastor should collaborate with, and inform church staff about activities that directly, and indirectly affect other ministries in the church.
- The Pastor should set an example to the youth/kids by their life, priorities, attitude, words and teaching all revolving around and in submission to Jesus.
- The Pastor should provide counseling and spiritual direction to students/kids and their families that is in line with overall church doctrine and mission.
- The Pastor should foster an atmosphere of humbly serving others as an outflow of his relationship with Jesus, and encourage others towards Jesus first, then serving others as an outflowing expression of that relationship with Jesus.
- The Pastor will occasionally fill in the pulpit and preach and teach Biblically sound sermons.
- The Pastor should lead Bible studies when possible.
- The Pastor Should give oversight and supervision to volunteer youth/kids leaders, and other staff and volunteers assisting with youth/kids activities.
- The Pastor should officiate weddings and funerals as requested and/or necessary.
- The Pastor should perform other ministry tasks as directed, or that they see become necessary.
- This should be done at the direction of the elders, other staff members and through alert recognition of current needs.
- The Pastor should assist in consistent and reliable attendance and office coverage.
- The Pastor should be in daily Bible study, prayer and meditation time.
- The Pastor should find and participate in continuing spiritual education events and training.
- This could be anything from joining small group Bible studies, to attending ministry conferences, etc.
- The Pastor should, with the knowledge of and at the eldership teams approval, take planning and rejuvenation time off.
- The Pastor should set healthy personal/ministry capacity boundaries, with the eldership team’s support and help, to prevent moral compromise, negative optics, ministry fatigue and burnout.
Christian Church of Burlington
1401 Cross St.
Burlington, KS 66839-1100
We will be accepting resumes until the position is filled. Send resumes and questions to Karl Nurnberger via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org