Home Parents/Residential Instructors
Alpha is seeking mission-minded Christian, married couples to work on our beautiful, rural campus as parents to children in need who live in our residences. Each married couple becomes residential parents in one of our homes to children in need of a safe place to call home. We also have an on-site, private, Christian school that the children attend, as well as plenty of ranch acreage that allows the children to participate in raising farm animals for the 4-H programs that they participate in.
The House Parent is responsible for the care and training of children placed in the home, including nurturing the children’s physical, emotional, and spiritual needs through instruction, example, and appropriate activities. This position is responsible for all of the tasks relating to personal care, housing, meals, study and recreational activities of children in a Christian residential care setting.
- Provides adequate supervision for children placed under their care and carries out assigned duties in the general operation of Alpha Christian Children’s Home (“Alpha”).
- Fosters a healthy family home environment incorporating Christian principles.
- Conducts daily devotions in the home with the children and actively participates in a local church.
- Become familiar with each child’s social history in an effort to understand the child as an individual.
- Develops a relationship with each child, actively listens to them and offers individual counseling and support.
- Plans and serves well-balanced meals.
- Performs daily household tasks necessary for cleanliness and home maintenance.
- Promptly cleans ground or workspace after project completion.
- Assigns duties and household chores to children in their home, as age and skill of the child allows.
- Teaches children proper care for their belongings, as age and skill of the child allows.
- Encourages the development of good personal hygiene habits such as bathing, brushing teeth, changing clothes, shampooing hair, cleaning nails, etc.
- Provides structured time each day for schoolwork and ensures that the children have necessary study materials. Assists each child with his/her daily homework and reports concerns to school administration.
- Implements age appropriate activities that support the Alpha’s standards and mission.
- Models positive behavior and utilizes appropriate language, interactions and positive discipline.
- Contributes to operations of Alpha as need and ability requires, including mowing fields, maintaining roads, maintenance, construction/renovation, aiding in school, and other tasks as directed by the Executive Director.
- Monitors the location and conduct of children in their care to ensure appropriate safety and behavior.
- Monitors incoming and outgoing mail to ensure a wholesome and positive environment is maintained.
- Ensures all phone calls by the children are approved and monitored.
- Provides monthly financial reports and receipts for purchases made with household funds to the office in a timely manner.
- Notifies administration prior to taking Alpha children on any out-of-town trips.
- Follows all Alpha schedules and ensures all children in their care do as well.
- Completes and submits monthly progress reports on each Alpha child.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience working with children in a professional setting, preferably, in a variety of contexts is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in childcare, social work, education, counseling or psychotherapy is preferred.
- Good moral character and integrity. Strong Christian character and nurturing lifestyle as documented by references.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong sense of responsibility and leadership skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of Alpha.
- Demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations with appropriate boundaries.
- Ability to speak, listen, stand, bend, climb, crouch, kneel, and reach for moderate periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to thirty (30) pounds.
- Reside in housing provided by Alpha 24/7 with the children assigned to you in a Christian environment, supervising the children in a family setting. You become their home parents on our campus. Parents have a master bedroom with attached master bathroom for themselves.
- Interaction with staff, students, and guests.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
- Salary paid twice monthly.
- Monthly Household expenses cash budget.
- Housing & Utilities Provided No Cost To You.
- Campus Food Pantry Access.
- 2 Weeks Paid Vacation Each Year.
- Household Vehicle For Child Transportation.
- Group Health & Dental Plans.
- School Tuition Provided for your children at our private, Christian school which offers individualized curriculum plans designed for each child.
Alpha Christian Children’s Home and School
PO Box 727
15017 27th St.
Perry, KS 66073
Contact Michelle Kincaid at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to talk about this position.