The Senior Pastor provides spiritual and pastoral leadership to the members of First Christian Church. The Senior Pastor serves as the spiritual leader of the congregation so that it might fulfill its mission and purpose as guided by the Holy Bible through God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Senior Pastor will preach, teach, and advise church leadership in the areas of worship, administration, stewardship, and outreach.
- Provide pastoral care by assisting the pastors, other staff, board committees, and church members through visitation, counseling, and prayer.
- Make referrals when necessary and quickly respond to crisis situations which arise in the congregation.
- Assist and mentor pastors, elders, and other church leaders in teaching children, youth, and adults in the areas of Christian education.
- Working Conditions — The position of Senior Pastor requires great flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends. The pastor should be in the office enough time to allow access to members of the congregation and for regular communication with the church staff.
- Regularly preach and teach the Word of God.
- Officiate at special services such as weddings, funerals, nursing home/hospital visitations, etc. as the need for these callings arise.
- Work with volunteers from the Worship Committee to develop and maintain a music program that applies to all ages in order to integrate music into worship and other areas of the congregation.
- Oversee the administration and management of all areas of the congregation’s ministry in consultation with the Elders, Church Board, committees, and staff.
- Support, mentor, and assist other pastor(s), staff, and church leaders who may be responsible for other ministries such as youth, education, social action, pastoral care, fellowship, health, and elderly care.
- Support, supervise, manage, and evaluate the church employees. Participate in the screening and hiring of staff as needed.
- Build a sense of teamwork among church staff and hold regular staff meetings to coordinate the ministries of the church and facilitate communication.
- Communicate and work with the members of the Property Committee to see that the facilities of the church are functional and in good repair.
- Serve as the staff representative at monthly Elder meetings and Board meetings.
- Work with the leadership of the church, to educate and advocate responsible biblical stewardship in the congregation.
- Assist and advise the Finance Committee and the Financial Secretary with financial matters of the church.
- Work with the Elders in overseeing and promoting congregational benevolence and mission work for local and adjacent communities.
- Work with the Outreach Committee and the Elders to promote the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the unchurched, the inactive, and the new residents of our community.
- Direct the assimilation of new members into the life of the congregation inclusive with other church members.
- Encourage all organizations and ministries of the church to carry out their work with an emphasis on welcoming others to participate in the mission work of Christ as supported by the church.
Ideal Characteristics of Candidate
- Education and Experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, required.
- Master’s degree, preferred.
- 5+ years ministry experience.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities.
- Able to relate to anyone.
- Ability not to take himself too seriously.
- Ability to relate to younger and older generation.
- Dynamic preacher.
Personal Characteristics and Qualifications
- A strong man of God, and on fire for Him.
- Enthusiasm for serving the Lord.
- Apologetics (theologically astute).
- Good work ethic.
- Excitement, contagious enthusiasm.
- Believable, relatable.
- Real concern for members.
Nevada (pronounced Ne “vey” da) is a small rural farming community with a population of around 8,500. It’s located off interstate 49 in Southwest Missouri, approximately 60 miles north of Joplin, 90 miles south of Kansas City, and 95 miles northwest of Springfield. It’s just a short drive to areas such as Lake of the Ozarks and Branson. Nevada is a wonderful community where people are friendly and welcoming.
Nevada is a great place to live with amazing people, raise a family, and where you can truly experience all four seasons of the year. The cost of living is very affordable compared to many areas around the country and the local public schools are excellent. The Nevada Regional Technical Center prepares high school and adult students for the growing demands of industry and post-secondary education. Post-secondary education opportunities include Crowder College, which offers associate degree programs and Cottey College, a women’s college offering 2-and-4-year liberal arts and science programs. Nevada Regional Medical Center Hospital is a primary health care facility with many of the latest health technologies. Medical centers in Joplin and Kansas City offer additional medical resources. Significant employers include 3M, NRMC, Nevada R-5 School System, US Bank/Mortgage, Walmart Supercenter, and others.
There’s so much to do at the various local lakes like camping, hunting, boating, and fishing. Nevada has several city parks along with a local YMCA, city pool, community center, and performing art events. Seasonal activities include the local farmers market, the annual Bushwhackers Day festival, the Vernon County 4H Fair (largest in the state of Missouri), and the Nevada Griffons baseball season for college-level players from around the country. And you won’t want to miss the annual Christmas parade around the town square.
First Christian Church Nevada
204 S. Washington St.
Nevada, MO 64772
To apply send resume and references to email@example.com and reference First Christian Church Nevada in subject line.