We were planted by Christian Evangelistic Mission (CEM) in 2001 and have been on mission to build strong and faithful families. We aim to encourage growth for the whole family, with particular attention to creating a place where men are taught to lead spiritually. We know that if we can lead men to Jesus, we have the strongest chance to effect generational change.
Our church gathers people from varied backgrounds in a predominantly Catholic city. Our historic downtown building is a non-traditional church setting, with an existing pub/dining hall now serving as our coffee bar and gathering area. Our current weekend attendance averages 130 people between the 2 services.
The Bridge is a place to grow. We seek to create environments and relationships that allow this to happen – Life Groups, weekend worship, serving teams, classes, events, etc.
We have a shared leadership approach; elders, preachers, staff, and servant leaders work together to lead the church. People who commit to the Bridge are called Partners, and they participate in our mission and serve in ministry.
In 2023, we redefined our identity:
Vision: Real Jesus. Real Hope
Mission: Love God, Love People, Build Bridges
Values: Unwavering Truth, Unlikely Community, Uncomfortable Growth, Uncommon Generosity, Unstoppable Faith
We are currently working on Elder Development and a 3-year strategic plan with E2 Elders.
- The candidate God is preparing us for will be a humble disciple of Jesus and seeks the leading of the Spirit in decision making.
- He will be comfortable with shared leadership, working alongside volunteers, and being accountable to others.
- He will support and implement the church’s Vision, Mission and Values. And he must be willing and able to relate and minster to people far from God.
- We are looking for a pastor who is gifted in the following:
- Teaching – Delivering transparent, biblical, and relatable messages. “Preacher who bleeds in his preaching…”
- Discipling – Relationship builder who can make disciples of Jesus by developing a culture of mentorship and real, sustainable growth.
- Team building – Capable of organizing and motivating volunteer ministry teams. Encouraging uncomfortable growth is expected.
- This position’s exact responsibilities will be based on the candidate’s gifts and talents. We want to be a place where these gifts and talents can be utilized to the fullest, while utilizing our leadership team to wrap around to fulfill all the areas of duty. Ideally, we’ll work together to create a job description that will set the candidate up for success.
We are open to the following type of candidates:
- Open-minded, seasoned Lead Pastors seeking a new opportunity with a non-traditional structure.
- Associate Pastors seeking an opportunity to be a part of a healthy church.
- Recent Bible College Graduates with some ministry experience.
- Second career pastor – those transitioning to a pastoral career from business or industry.
- Bi-Vocational pastor – has a part-time job/career that will allow time for ministry
Blended position with Worship Ministry leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Shepherding Pastor reports to the Elder/Leadership Team for accountability, support and communication of ministry plans and objectives.
- Additionally, here are the essential duties and responsibilities for this role.
- Preach for weekend worship gatherings – approximately 42 weekends per year
- Teach Partnership classes – Bridge 101 and Spiritual Gifts
- Lead planning and execution of weekend and other (e.g., Christmas Eve) church worship programs and events
- Lead the Sermon Planning Team in planning preaching series, guest speakers, themes, etc.
- Provide leadership development training to current and future church leaders.
- Engage in outreach to families and men 18 – 40 year olds, who are far from God or His church.
- Guide people to join in Partnership with the church.
- Lead a Life Group or series within an existing Life Groups.
- Mentor 1 or 2 people a year more extensively to develop their leadership abilities.
- Be available for spiritual coaching.
- Be available for religious ceremonies – i.e., weddings, funerals, baby dedications, etc.
- Hire, supervise and coach church staff in collaboration with the Elder/Leadership Team.
- Oversee and coach Servant Leaders who lead ministry teams.
- Counsel people on applying and developing their spiritual gifts.
- Collaborate with the Leadership/Elder Team in the development of people, policies, and plans by attending meetings as needed.
- Assist in budget creation and other financial obligations of the church.
- Other duties will be agreed upon based on the candidate’s giftedness.
- Pastors and full-time staff members are expected to:
- Be a committed follower of Jesus, actively discipling and pointing others to faith in Jesus.
- Have consistent time with God, incorporating the spiritual disciplines.
- Serve with joy.
- Put family first: Your relationship with your spouse and family should be healthy and thriving with Christ at the center.
- Continually be learning new ways of doing ministry.
- Become a church partner in agreement with our Vision, Mission, Values and the By-Laws of Bridge Christian Church.
- Active participant in the church community.
- Attend all weekend services.
- Bible knowledge.
- Preaching experience.
- Church organization knowledge.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: verbal, written and electronic.
- Supervisory and leadership development experience.
- Fulfill the Biblical requirements of an Elder.
- Background in Restoration Movement churches preferred.
Salary to be based on qualifications and experience.
About Our Area: Dubuque is at the intersection of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois, known as the Tri-States region, with a collective population of approximately 100,000. The Tri-states offer many recreational opportunities, including river recreation, downhill skiing and snow sports, nature trails through the river bluffs, biking trails, a Smithsonian River Museum, arts and theater organizations, and a landscape rich in architectural history. The city also boasts a rich educational system, including five colleges/universities.
Bridge Christian Church
395 W. 9th St.
Dubuque, IA 52001